Thursday, July 06, 2006

I'm Back

Good thing real time is not marked by blogs. I have been negligent in my entries, but I have been wrapped up with integrating my new job description and attempts at serious writing. My submissions to numerous literary journals have resulted in many rejections, but the extra time at the keyboard has not inhibited my sojourns into the great outdoors.

My job also took me to the devastated areas of Chalmette, La. and Gulfport, Miss. to document Alma College Alternative Breaks. The areas are nowhere near normal and we are in the Hurricane Season again. Keep the residents of these areas in your prayers.

Ice fishing was a cool success. Turkey hunting a bust. Spring Walleye fishing on the Saginaw Bay has been hot. Every trip out I catch fish and usually limit out. Running a program of crawler harnesses and body baits trailing in-line planer boards or lead core has brought some nice eaters into the boat. I seem to be catching the breeders on spoons. The big ones above 22 inches I usually send back to contribute to the gene pool.

Saginaw Bay has to be the best Walleye fishery right now. Every story you read and every quote from biologists mentions the successfully spawned classes of the last few years. That is evident in the number of close-to-legal fish and the 15-to-20 inchers anglers are hauling in. Limit catches in a few hours of fishing are not uncommon in this fishery.

It's ironic that I choose today to get back into blogging. It was a year ago that I started this blog prior to leaving for my annual Herring fishing trip in the UP. I leave again Saturday for a week at the Riverbend Resort in Detour. The reports state that the Herring are biting around Pigeon Cove of Drummond Island and in Cedarville.
There will be a bonus catch since the Salmon are hitting around the Detour Light and the Walleye are biting in Raber Bay.

I'll keep you posted (A little more frequently, I hope).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skip
Oakley (of Post 64 "fame") was my Grandfather Dennis' brother too.
You are my age. I'm Dennis III.
==Dennis "Bud" Traynor
bud@traynor.us

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home