Sunday, July 31, 2005

The Salmon are Biting in Ludington


A quick fishing report from Ludington. The Salmon are here. Anglers launching before daybreak were back in port by 9 a.m. with limit catches.
I wish I could have been so lucky Saturday. I think I was sleep walking or sleep fishing, preoccupied, something. I went 1 for 6 confirmed bites. The fish were biting, but I must have been too slow. I did snag a lost lure when I sent my cannonball too low.
The only fish I brought in was a 10-pound King and I think the only reason I landed him was that he tried to swallow the Blue Dolphin lure he mistook for a bait fish. All of my strikes came on the lead core I was trailing or the dipsy.
Listening to radio traffic, fish boated later in the morning and afternoon came on lead core and dipsys more than 100 feet behind or downriggers with lures dragged far behind the cannonballs. That indicates the fish had become spooked by that early-morning pack of boats congregated around the harbor mouth.
As the day wore on, the fish scattered into deeper water. Most of my bites came in 100-150 feet of water on spoons 50 feet down, The depth of water varied but the hungry fish were consistently between 40 and 60 feet deep.
The big producers were green and blue dolphins, blue flies behind Hootchie Mammas and root beer. A lot of my hits came on a Fickle Pickle. Imagine a cucumber picked before ripe, boiled too long with a glow added and you have Northland's recipe. It works.
I am going to try Lake Huron next week to see if I can disprove the dire predictions that Huron's fishery is crashing. A report is coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home